A Perfect Wine Pairing!
April 1st 2021
Yellow Tail is a family-owned winery in the small country town of Yenda, Australia. This is where Yellow Tail wine is made by the sixth generation of the Casella family. In 1957, founders Filippo and Maria Casella migrated from Sicily and arrived on Australian shores. They began making wine with the family’s winemaking philosophy at its heart; to bring family and friends together at any occasion.
Yellow Tail wines are made to be fun, easy to choose, easy to drink and easy to understand.
Yellow Tail Merlot is a soft, smooth and velvety red wine, that has flavours of dark plum, mulberries and subtle spice. Tastes great with roast lamb and all the trimmings. Enjoy this Easter!
Roast shoulder of lamb with vegetables, rosemary, roast potatoes and gravy
(For 4 – 6 servings)
Prep and cook time: 2 h 25 min
Cannot be frozen
2 kg lamb shoulder, on the bone, trimmed
4 tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch young carrots, with stems, split in half
3 courgettes, sliced
4 shallots, or small onions, halved
6 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
2 – 3 rosemary sprigs
200 ml dry white wine
roasted potatoes, to serve
lamb gravy, to serve
freshly ground black pepper
1) For the lamb: Preheat the oven to 230°C (210° fan) | 450F | gas 8.
2) Make several incisions in the lamb using a sharp knife. Season with plenty of salt and pepper on both sides. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and then rub the oil into the meat.
3) Arrange the carrots, potatoes, courgette, shallots, garlic, and rosemary sprigs in a large roasting dish and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, tossing to coat.
4) Sit the lamb on top of the vegetables and pour the wine around the dish.
5) Roast for 10 minutes before reducing the oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325F | gas 3. Continue to roast for about 1 hour 30-45 minutes until the thickest part of the meat registers at least 63°C | 145F on a meat thermometer.
6) Remove from the oven and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes, covered loosely with aluminium foil.
7) Serve with roasted potatoes and gravy on the side.